Deputy Director of Voter Protection
The Texas Democratic Party is seeking a talented Deputy Director of Voter Protection to join the Voter Protection Team and help ensure that all eligible Texans can vote in 2022. This individual will lead aspects of the program party voter protection (for example, election officer training and support, support for voting by mail and/or poll observation). They will also assist the General Counsel on matters ranging from reviewing contracts to drafting briefs for voting rights disputes.
The Texas Democratic Party is creating a comprehensive education and action plan to expand opportunities for Texans to register to vote, be educated about all aspects of voting, and enjoy a full range of protections against any form of voter intimidation or suppression during voting or full participation in all aspects of Texas government. This person will be an integral part of this effort.
- Lead programmatic efforts of the Voter Protection Team in one or more of the following areas: election worker training and support, mail-in ballot support, mail-in ballot tracking and processing, and/or poll monitoring (to assign based on your skills and experience).
- Conduct legal research and assist the team on legal issues relating to voting procedures, voter suppression, intimidation, or efforts to disenfranchise Texas voters.
- Support the General Counsel in drafting and reviewing contracts, answering legal questions from various departments, and informing and assisting with ongoing litigation on behalf of the Texas Democratic Party.
- Identify voting issues through collaboration with county chairmen and other stakeholders, hotline reports, news monitoring and other resources and support the mobilization of a coordinated response within the party. Strategies will include advocacy, public education campaigns and others.
- Recruit, train and organize volunteers to support the goals of the Voter Protection Team.
- Cultivate strong relationships with select county-level officials to advance proactive voting improvements, respond to threats, and resolve issues for individual voters, with a particular focus on issues affecting people of color and voters with disabilities.
- Additional duties assigned by the Director of Voter Protection.
Skills and experience required:
- A licensed attorney who is licensed in Texas or who is eligible to waive the Texas Bar.
- Campaign experience – The ideal candidate has professional voter protection experience, but experience protecting voters in a volunteer role (e.g. poll watcher, poll worker) is appreciated, as is experience campaign in another area (e.g. organization/field).
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you understand that litigation is a tool in your toolbox, but often the one of last resort, and you can find and use a variety of approaches to resolve an issue.
- Strong Purpose and Judgment on Issues of Race and Equity – Clearly and consistently articulates a sophisticated understanding of racial equity and structural racism as it relates to the work we do and how we operate internally at Texas Democratic Party. Operates and organizes from a racial justice perspective, with a focus on the disproportionate impact of voter suppression on communities of color.
- Grace under pressure: You thrive in a fast-paced environment, are decisive, and maintain your composure and teamwork skills under pressure.
Tools required: A smartphone
Note: All employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of work.
Start date: May 1, 2022
Type of employment: Cycle until November 2022
Reports to: Director of Voter Protection and General Counsel
Location: Austin, TX with extensive statewide travel (up to 30%) including overnight and weekend travel (pending changes to COVID-19 safety protocols)
Salary: $65,000 – $75,000
How to register: Please click here and complete this form to apply for this position.