School of Education and Social Sciences
Position: Research Assistant
Annual salary: £9,295.53 (AC1.1 for 7 months)
Part-time (0.4 FTE), 7 months
THE POST OFFICE – Psychology research assistant
A 7-month fixed-term Research Assistant (RA) position is available two days a week in the Psychology Division at the University of the West of Scotland. The successful candidate will join the research project “Expression and Perception of Left Cheek Bias Across the Lifespan in Autistic and Non-Autistic Individuals” led by Dr. Bianca Hatin and Dr. Carrie Ballantyne, and funded by the British Academy/Leverhulme Trust. The project focuses on how emotion is perceived and expressed in autistic and neurotypical people.
A key part of the project is recruiting and tracking data from adult and child participants, and liaising with key stakeholder groups (local education authorities, charities and professionals). The ultimate goal of the project is to identify key differences that can facilitate communication and expression between neurotypes. You will join a dedicated team that strives to continuously inspire our students and the wider academic community – and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s greatest challenges. .
The successful candidate must have the following:
- Honors Bachelor of Psychology
- Understanding of quantitative research methods
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a research team
- Computer skills, in particular experience in the use of statistical packages, including SPSS and Excel
- Research experience with neurodiverse groups would be an asset.
The University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and fastest growing modern universities. Our reach across the country, along with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation and one of the leading providers of undergraduate, postgraduate and of research. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that prepare them for global success in cutting-edge sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to discover the joy of learning, teaching, researching and innovating, and applying their knowledge for the benefit others.
The UWS School of Education and Social Sciences combines cutting-edge educational provision with strong expertise in social science teaching and research in the West of Scotland and beyond. You will join a supportive and committed team, playing a crucial role in the School’s commitment to social justice and making a difference locally, nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from innovative, practice-oriented and research-based courses, as well as deep-rooted partnerships with leading organizations around the world. Learn more about our School of Education and Social Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package that includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus an additional 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% pension contribution from the employer, including compensation for death in service when joining the pension plan
- A flexible approach to work pace and work-life balance
- Employee discount program at 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities on our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellness resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunities for professional development, career and research.
Closing Date: May 13
Date of interview: May 23
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “disability-confident” employer.
The University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.