Moore found not guilty of aggravated murder | News, Sports, Jobs

YOUNGSTOWN — The family of Glenna White and the lead prosecutor who tried Robert L. Moore of Alliance in her disappearance and alleged murder remained positive Thursday afternoon after a jury found Moore not guilty of aggravated murder.

However, the jury was deadlocked on the murder and Assistant District Attorney Mike Yacovone said Moore would stand trial again on that charge – despite the challenge of another seven-day trial involving a victim whose body was not found. never been found.

White, 16, was visiting a home on Alden Avenue in Smith Township when she left in late June 2009 with Moore. This was after White told others at home that Moore had touched her inappropriately or attempted to rape her. Moore’s girlfriend lived at home.

Moore returned about an hour later with blood and mud on his clothes. White was not with him and prosecutors believe Moore was the last person to see her alive.

The trial took place in Mahoning County because Alden Avenue is in Mahoning County, but White’s home was actually in Stark County. Due to her poor home life, however, she was mainly staying with a friend near Alliance in the months before her death, a witness said.

The locations mentioned in the lawsuit were throughout or around the Alliance area, which straddles several counties, townships and city limits. The investigator who took the case to Mahoning County prosecutors after receiving a 2020 tip on the White case is Ed Kennedy of the Portage County Sheriff’s Office. Portage and Columbiana counties are also close to the locations involved in the trial.

The case could have gone to trial in either Mahoning or Stark County, as various aspects of the case unfolded in both counties, prosecutors say.

The jury deliberated about two full days after about a week of testimony in the Mahoning County Court of Common Pleas before Judge Maureen Sweeney read the results of the not guilty and hung jury on Thursday afternoon.

There were no big winners.

Moore, 52, was still handcuffed and taken back to Mahoning County Jail after the results were read. He is still being held on $1 million bail.

There were tears in the eyes of Sarah Raymond, Glenna’s aunt, as she spoke with three assistant county prosecutors after Sweeney read the jury results.

Asked about her reaction later, she said: “I’m grateful that we’re at this point (having completed the trial) and able to move on, and try to try again and see how it all goes.”

His sister, Elizabeth White, Glenna’s mother, who testified at the trial, said she would leave comments for Raymond.

Moore’s attorney, Jeffrey Haupt, said he was satisfied with the not-guilty verdict, “but it’s going to continue in one form or another for (Moore), so I can’t say I’m leaving here satisfied.”

White’s mother and a friend whose family allowed White to live with them testified to White’s difficult childhood.

And, a Stark County sheriff’s investigator described Moore’s 1993 confession to killing 23-year-old Virginia Lecorchick near Lake Berlin.

Moore spent 15 years in prison after pleading guilty in Stark County to manslaughter in Lecorchick’s death.

Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox

Leave a Reply