Jury finds man guilty of Boardman’s murder | News, Sports, Jobs

Staff Photo / Ed Runyan Assistant County District Attorney Jennifer McLaughlin, left, embraces Lois Mullen, mother of Jennifer Mullen, after a jury found George Hill III guilty on Monday of murder in the death of Mullen’s daughter. At right is victim witness attorney Marilyn Lane.

When the jury verdicts started coming back “guilty”, the deputies handcuffed George G. Hill III, and Hill dropped into his chair to listen to the rest of the verdicts from there.

Hill, 46, was found guilty of all charges — including murder, felony assault and domestic violence — in the May 30 or 31, 2020, assault on Jennifer L. Mullen, 35, in the Shields Road house in Boardman where they lived.

Hill, who was tried before Judge Anthony D’Apolito of the Mahoning County Common Pleas Court, will be sentenced later. Murder is punishable by 15 years to life in prison. He might know more about felony assault and domestic violence convictions.

Hill called 911 at 6:38 a.m. on May 31, saying Mullen hit her head in the bathroom after having six or seven drinks and couldn’t wake her. Prosecutors say “hours” passed between when she suffered the head injury and when Hill called 911.

“When asked why he didn’t call 911, evidence will show he said, ‘Well, I couldn’t call from my phone. I had to charge his. I had to wait,” Kevin Day, an assistant county prosecutor, said during opening statements.

Jury selection and testimony lasted four days last week, but the trial could not take place on Friday, so it resumed on Monday with jury deliberations, which lasted about 6.5 hours.

After Hill’s kidnapping, Lois Mullen, mother of Jennifer Mullen, thanked the assistant prosecutors who handled the case, Day and Jennifer McLaughlin, and told The Vindicator she was “ecstatic” that the jury said Hill guilty.

“He did this, and I knew it. Justice for Jen, and we got it,” she said.

The medical examiner who performed Jennifer Mullen’s autopsy was going to testify that the blood from her head wound was “like a capture of time” at the time the injury occurred, and it would show that “the blood in her brain had the equivalent of less than more of an alcoholic beverage,” Day said during opening statements to the jury.

But a defense witness, Dr Anthony Pizon, said last week that there is no “alcohol gel in (the brain) of a living person”. He said, “The only time the blood freezes, if you will, is if the patient is dead.” Pizon is chief of the division of medical toxicology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and a professor of emergency medicine at the university.

The first witness in the trial was the eldest of Mullen’s two daughters, 15, who was not home the night her mother suffered her fatal injury, but was asked many questions about the relationship between her mother and Hill.

She said her mother and Hill fought “almost every night” and the fights were physical and verbal. “Most of the time he was pushing her around, sometimes pulling her hair, sometimes hitting her,” she said.

Because her mother had bruises on her arms and legs, she sometimes wore clothes that covered those areas, the girl said. She didn’t tell anyone about her injuries out of fear, she said.

Cross-examined by defense lawyer James Wise, the teenager admitted that her mother sometimes fell when she drank alcohol. She also agreed that her mother and Hill argued about her mother’s drinking.

She also testified that Hill drank and was “angry” at times when he drank with his mother.


Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox

Leave a Reply