Job title: Assistant dining room manager
Location: Fire Maker Brewing Company / Atlanta, Georgia
Position Type: Full time
Who we are:
Fire Maker Brewing Company is a start-up production brewery in West Midtown, Atlanta, Georgia. The Fire in Fire Maker represents the burning passion and ambition that we all have within us, that desire to accomplish our goals and dreams. A firemaker is someone who goes out and lives life to the fullest. It’s who we are, and we want to be the beer people have while pursuing and celebrating the achievement of their goals. Sounds good so far? So read on, life-loving friend!
A strong team, like a good beer, is the sum of its parts. Our next necessary ingredient is a Taproom Manager Assistant.
Our Taproom is the face of our business. We have approximately 2,000 square feet of beautifully decorated Taproom space, including a temperature-controlled patio and a small event space, Beer Garden & Beer Hall for smaller events. In production we are working to fill our 30 taps brewing on a 20 bbl system for year round and seasonal beers and a 2.5 bbl pilot system to keep the flavors fresh. We will be open to the public Tuesday through Sunday each week, but are looking to expand to 7 days a week.
Who are the people behind Fire Maker? Our CEO/Owner has spent his entire career in the alcohol industry in the retail and craft beer segments of the industry. Our Chief Brewer brings to the company over a decade of professional brewing experience and a degree from Siebel. Our extremely talented marketing team creates beautiful photos and entertaining videos for the social media world.
The Assistant Taproom Manager works in partnership with the Taproom Manager and senior management to maintain the company’s vision and culture in the Taproom. The Assistant Dining Room Manager will serve as the right hand and leader to the bartender staff, setting the standard for customer service at Fire Maker. They must also participate in the daily operations of the tapas room bar, public/private events as well as certain administrative tasks that will be delegated by the taproom manager. This position aims to further cultivate the Taproom community with customers and Taproom staff, continue to increase sales and create a good atmosphere.
- Supports Fire Maker Core Values and Focus
- Ensure that all safety protocols are respected in the consumption room; train, reinforce and improve a culture and attitude of safety in consumption room operations
- Work with the consumption room manager on the hiring, development and training, scheduling, discipline, accountability and training of consumption room staff
- Front of house work and customer service (regular bar shifts)
- Communicate effectively between dining room staff and the dining room manager, both in writing and verbally
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the consumption room and the organization of the back office, break areas and customer areas.
- The direct supervisor of the bartender staff and serve as an example of Fire Maker’s customer service
- Conduct regular training on the service in conjunction with feedback from Secret Hopper reports.
- Work with Head Brewer and Dining Manager to provide staff with regular beer education and sensory training
- Develop a list of weekly/monthly tasks for bartender staff to complete during shifts
- Resolve customer complaints regarding beer quality or service
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all Fire Maker products
- Take initiative to continuously improve the Taproom experience for customers
- Shift work and support staff behind the bar
- Update the Taproom menu as needed
- Keep Arryvd register and Taproom signage high
- Assist with ordering items for the dining room and grocery/restaurant drop off for supplies
- Ability to assist and work in other departments of the business and perform other duties as required by the business
- Follow all safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protective equipment such as gloves and goggles
- Hold all crew members accountable for adhering to brewery procedures
- Ensure compliance with all Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) standards and required documentation
- Develop, compile and present reports to supervisors/owners.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with DOL, DOH, OSHA, TTB and other state, municipal and federal consumer protection regulations
- Monitor and report daily cash flow
- Represent and positively promote Fire Maker and its image at technical events, conferences and industry marketing events.
- Ability to travel occasionally for the day (or night) by land, sea or air.
- We typically partner with Scoville Hot Chicken, furthering that relationship and increasing our bar sales by encouraging customers to purchase meals.
- Make sure our food partners respect our space and do a thorough job of cleaning up after them
Dining room upgrades:
Inventory control and organization/maintenance of the consumption room:
- Monitor inventory and order all necessary supplies, merchandise, beer and food/soft drinks in a timely manner while tracking sales/losses
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of bar, washrooms and merchandise areas
- Oversee quarterly dining room deep cleanings
- Train bartending staff to ensure all team members operate to the same high standard
- Work with Beerista and Food Liaison to track food-related inventory items.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for the Fire Maker both in the dining hall and in the community
- To perform this job successfully, a person must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Passionate about craft beer and cultivating an inclusive taproom experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent relevant work experience
- A minimum of 3 years of practical and professional experience in a bar or restaurant
- Previous experience in a management or leadership role in a brasserie or other restaurant/bar
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with proper documentation
- All skills and experience described above
- Ability to work a flexible schedule depending on the needs of the operation
- Ability to handle fast-paced, high-pressure situations
- Ability to sit, stand and/or walk for long periods
- Ability to bend, kneel, reach, twist and stoop
- Ability to lift, push and pull 50 pounds unassisted
- Ability to push, pull, move full drums (approx. 160 pounds) with assistance
- Adherence to all company health and safety standards to include proper use of personal protective equipment and adherence to all OSHA and CDC guidelines
- Ability to work flexible days and hours
- Clear understanding that this is an in-person job and is not currently or in the future will be a work from home job.
- Ability to assist and work in other areas of the company and perform other duties as directed by the company
- Ability to be resourceful and problem solve
- Opportunity to obtain TIPS certification within a week of hiring
- 21 and over
- Proactive with an ever present eye to improve the Fire Maker Taproom experience
- Positive and friendly, making customers and employees feel welcome at Fire Maker and continuing to foster the community we’ve built so far!
- Solution oriented, taking an optimistic and persistent approach to problem solving
- Creative, looking for new ideas and approaches to make sure more people know about Fire Maker
- Organized; develop systems for staffing, consumer room maintenance and inventory tracking, etc.
- Honest and diligent, acting like you own the business
Type of position/expected working hours
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but employees must be available during “main” dining room hours. Flexibility is required as the duties of the position require it. This position will require holidays and late evenings as well as early mornings. Must have full availability Wednesday through Sunday.
Must be open and able to travel by all means. This position requires occasional travel to breweries and other dining venues. Occasional travel outside the local area and overnight stays may be required.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters in performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may work with hazardous materials and utilities.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee may sometimes work near sources of high voltage, flames, hot water, steam, broken glass and CO2.
- The employee frequently works in a sanitary environment.
- The employee may sometimes work near moving mechanical parts.
Fixed salary according to experience. Benefits include PTO, paid vacation, health insurance and beer.
Qualified candidates should submit both a cover letter and a resume. Just FYI, we definitely read the cover letters.
**NO WALK-INS and/or PHONE CALLS
*** Must be at least 21 years old