Donation Center Assistant Job Description
Job Title: Donation Center Assistant (CSJ – 8 week contract)
Reports to: Donation Center Supervisor
Hours: 35 hours per week for a period of 8 weeks
Expected start date: Monday, June 6, 2022
3 positions available (Canada Summer Jobs).
Purpose of the position
The Donation Center Assistant is primarily responsible for donor interactions, daily operations of the donation processing center, assisting with the ReStore truck, and ensuring the donation area is kept clean and tidy. Core skills for this position include organizational skills, problem solving, communications and customer relations, as well as knowledge of the Habitat for Humanity brand and ReStore products.
This work will be done in accordance with Habitat for Humanity Canada and Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie by working collaboratively with volunteers and other staff to ensure the highest standards are achieved. The Donation Center Assistant is also responsible for maintaining the vision, mission and values of Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie & Area and to comply with all policies, procedures and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Maintain warehouse inventory layout to maximize efficiency
– Maintain inventory accuracy
– Maintain cleanliness in the yard and garbage area
– Assist in loading and unloading ReStore vehicles
– Assist in maintaining the cleanliness of the ReStore delivery truck
– Ensure the proper processing of donations
– Perform daily collections and deliveries for the ReStore
– Repair and preparation of donations for the ReStore sales area
– Handle customer complaints at pick-up and drop-off points responding in a courteous and respectful manner
Communication and Customer Relations
– Greet customers in a friendly manner
– Make announcements on the PA system
– Provide customers with in-store support
– Answer the phone and respond to customer/donor requests
– Booking deliveries and pickups from customer/donor trucks
– Inspect donations during collection and tactfully enforce requirements
– Interaction and coordination with warehouse staff and volunteers
– Assist customers and donors in the loading and unloading of goods
Brand and product knowledge
– Promote the vision, mission and values of Habitat for Humanity
– Promote ReStore products in accordance with our discount policy
– Promote the use of the donation center for high quality donations
– Perform additional assigned tasks
– Be between 15 and 30 years old at the start of employment
– Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person who has been granted refugee status in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
– Be legally authorized to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial laws and regulations
– Level 10 minimum or equivalent
– Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
– Ability to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
Additional skills include:
– Organized, precise and efficient
– Reliable, with good time management
– Ability to set priorities, multi-task and meet deadlines
– Ability to work independently and in a team environment
– Ability to solve problems and exercise good judgment
– Criminal record check is required as a condition of employment
– Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends. This position will occasionally be exposed to extreme weather conditions (eg heat, cold, wind, rain, etc.).
– The position must regularly lift up to 50 pounds and will undergo frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetition.
How to register:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie & Region.
In person: Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
32 White Oak Drive East
Sault Ste. Mary, Ontario
By email: email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, May 30, 2022 before 5:00 p.m.
Only the people selected for an interview will be contacted.