Who we are
prism is a new kind of education company driven by a singular mission: to create the next generation the world needs. We protect children’s curiosity; promote the mindset, initiative and follow-up of their designer; and equip them with the problem-solving, communication, collaboration, and ethical decision-making skills they will need to thrive in the future.
Prisma combines the flexibility of blended learning, the socialization of a close-knit peer group that meets daily, the support of an inspiring learning coach, and the personalization of an adaptable, interest-based program. We base our workshops, coaches and programs in the cloud so that Prisma learners can access their training wherever they want, in a physical learning center with other Prisma learners, from the comfort of their own home. or on the road. By being cloud-based, we can access the best coaches wherever they are, bring together the best curriculum resources and technologies, and eventually give Prisma learners access to the community of learners the largest and most diverse in the world.
We believe that every student deserves to love school, to be able to progress at their own pace, to pursue what interests them, to have a supportive peer group, and to reach their full potential.
We are led by two recurring founders whose most recent company was purchased by Google in one of its most expensive acquisitions to date. We are a well-funded, mission-driven company focused on scalable and sustainable growth.
What is the role
At Prisma, children are led by “learning coaches,” not teachers, and they learn through live videos and interactive experiences, not classrooms and textbooks. Most of our learners are home-based and interact with Prisma in a fully virtual model. But in select locations, including Northern New Jersey, we have in-person “Learning Centers” where Prisma Learners can show up each day to connect in-person with their Mentor Coach, socialize, collaborate on projects, and work to achieve their individualized learning goals.
Our New Jersey hub is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday, and learners can use the hub as often or as little as they want (although most choose to come daily). Prisma learners at the in-person hub participate in virtual standups, live workshops, and clubs with their virtual cohort (that way they still enjoy the benefits of being part of a full cohort of geographically diverse children and access all of our great workshops and events in the cloud).
As an in-person learning coach for our NJ hub, you will be a trusted mentor and advisor to a group of approximately 10-12 middle school students. You’ll help them set and stick to goals, provide feedback on their work, and generally provide guidance and mentorship so they can achieve their personal best. You will also be required to organize excursions and team activities once a month on Fridays. If you’ve ever dreamed of running your own small, one-room school, having enough time to really mentor and bring out the best in a small group of learners, and desire a part-time job where you don’t don’t have to take your job home with you at the end of the day, this could be the job of your dreams. Our center is located in Mountainside, NJ, in a building with other innovative microschools, so you will be part of a larger community of teachers and students.
what you gonna do
- Manage and oversee an in-person learning center for 10-15 students in grades 4-8
- Structure learners’ day and ensure they use their time productively
- Help learners define and achieve their academic goals
- Provide advice and life coaching to your mentees
- Provide feedback to your mentees on their work
- Provide updates to parents and meet with them if there are any issues
- Support each learner in their preparation for a successful adult life
- Organize a field trip once a month (parents will provide transportation) or an on-site team building activity and occasional get-togethers for Prisma learners in the wider area
Who is the ideal candidate
- Amazing at building positive and motivating relationships with children (experience with students in grades 4-8 is a plus)
- Skilled at creating fun and engaging in-person learning environments that kids want to be part of every day
- Engage and know what it takes to make learning exciting and fun for kids
- Intelligent, intellectually curious, quick on your feet
- Experience working with children with special learning needs is a plus
- Excellent for providing advice, inspiration and mentorship to children
- Adaptable, eager to learn, open to candid feedback and comfortable with change
- Comfortable with the fast pace and constant change of a startup
- Very reliable and serious work
- Ability to interact with parents
- A creative and open-minded thinker who challenges the status quo
- Passionate about alternative models of education
- Tech savvy and a believer in the power of technology to enhance children’s learning
- Comfortable working in a distributed team (now and post-COVID) and desire employment with a high level of personal agency
Beyond possessing these skills, if you also exude these traits, we want to talk with you!
- Bold: Don’t be afraid to speak up, take risks and think differently
- Humble: Quick to give credit and slow to shift blame
- Can do: Optimistic, brings solutions, not problems, and always finds a way
- Team player: Caring, respecting, helping and speaking frankly with others
- Driven: Go beyond to achieve our mission
How we compensate
- Competitive hourly rate
- holidays off
How to register
If this sounds like your dream job, please apply HERE 👋.
Job expires in 30 days.